I blog about...

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Daniel Fast Recipe #4: (Spicy) Vegetable Pasta Bake

Ask Me Questions....


I was informed that some people are having some difficulty commenting on my blog. My apologies! This is my first blogspot attempt (I usually do wordpress), so I was not aware that you had to be a gmail user if you wanted to comment.

But never fear! You can email me questions or comments! Claireflorine@gmail.com
I'll look forward to hearing from you!

Anyways....

I'm on a roll with these recipes. 

Tonight I came home from work really having know idea what to make and not wanting to spend a whole lot of time on preparing food. This is usually not the case, as I am particularly obsessive about planning ahead, but today was "data day" at school and I was busy looking at my student's test scores (AKA, not my favorite thing to do). I also had to make a meal quickly because my husband is a movie star and had a video shoot for a french commercial. (I know, he's awesome!)

So I opened up my fridge and saw pizza sauce. This jar inspired the rest:

Spicy Vegetable Pasta Bake


(Recipe serves 4)

Ingredients:
4 cups whole grain pasta (I used whole wheat rigatoni. You can use whatever kind you like, but I wouldn't use Spaghetti...)
2 cups pizza sauce or canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup salsa*
4 slices of jalapeno, finely chopped*
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 bell pepper, finely chopped
4 mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons or lime or lemon juice
Cumin, salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
Cooking spray or olive oil

*NOTE: You may choose to leave out the jalapeno and salsa if you would rather not have a spicy dish. (In which case, if would be called just "Vegetable Pasta Bake") I realize not everyone is as big on the spice as Dennis and I are. Also, you may add 1 cup black beans in with the sautéed veggies and sauce if you are looking to add more protein to the meal.

Here's what you do:

1. Preheat oven to 400
2. Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil, then drop in the pasta
3. Heat a small amount of cooking spray or olive oil on a medium sized skillet
4. Chop up the vegetables of choice and add them into the skillet
5. Cook veggies for 3 minutes, stirring often, then season
6. Add the pizza sauce, salsa (if you want it spicy), and lemon/lime juice
7. Stir on low heat and wait until the pasta is tender
8. Lightly spray a baking pan with cooking spray or coat lightly with olive oil
9. Add one layer of drained pasta to the pan
10. Spoon out half of the sauce and veggie mixture on top of the pasta
11. Season with garlic
12. Add another layer of drained pasta so that the pasta is all gone
13. Spoon out the last half of the sauce and veggie mix and top with garlic or salt and pepper
14. Place in the oven for 30 minutes
15. Once dish is done, take out and serve with a big ole' serving spoon! Yum!

So How Was It?

The dish was pretty good! I enjoyed the spice, and the change up (we haven't had pasta in a tick). I think that baking the dish gave it more structure than if it were just sauce spooned over the wet pasta. However, I couldn't help thinking that it would be better with some cheddar-jack... I guess this the point where we should set our minds on God. In the absence of what our flesh enjoys (in the case, cheese) we must turn to the Lord and recognize that all of our earthly possessions belong to Him and we are to sacrifice all of it if it means we can grow just a little bit closer to Him.

We can live without cheese! We can live without meat! We can suffer in our eating for Christ (although the meal really wasn't as bad as all that...).

I No picture tonight! Again, we were in such a rush because of Dennis's film that I forgot to sign onto Instagram! You can blame the talented actor-man... ;-)


Just another "Claire Creation" brought to you by....well, Claire (duh!) 

Goodnight!





1 comment:

  1. Recipe for daniel fast I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete